Monday, May 27, 2013

The past few days..

My weekends are usually pretty jam packed with work, or schoolwork or family gatherings. Working in the emergency room it's sometimes hard to feel like you are making a difference. Between the hectic flow, the crowded waiting room, and sometimes an endless to-do list it's hard, if not impossible to love your job. 
It's even harder to come across patients that truly appreciate what your doing for them, for the community. Sometimes a couple 12 hour shifts can really do you in. However, a couple weeks ago I came across a patient and spent about an hour in their room. When I left that night I knew that was my ah-ha moment. I felt for the first time in a long time that what I was doing there was not in vain. 

So yesterday, again, I felt like I made a difference. It wasn't work related but I still felt like that what I did may have made a difference if not then, but eventually. 

Lately I have really been thinking about what I wanna do with my life. Things I want to accomplish. At the age of 19 I went to Africa. I mentioned that in my previously post. Not a day goes by that I don't think about that place. The sand/dirt, the faces of small children and a sweet little baby that took my heart in just a few minutes. It's not about what we do sometimes, but how we do it. How much we put behind it. Put your whole heart into it. Go 110% even if you don't want to. Because to someone you are making a difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment