Tuesday, November 26, 2013

I've got Joy.....I think?

Hey guys! Hope all is well wherever your neck of the woods may be. As I was talking to a really good friend, from whom I seek a lot of advice, I discovered what I was gonna talk about.

Joy. Better yet, joy versus happiness. Think about it. Are they the same thing? I didn't think so while I was sitting and pondering the subject. I find myself thinking about a lot here lately. More so than usual. Let's be honest, probably not a good thing. Anyway. So this is what I came up with.

First let's refer to Webster and see what he has to say.

Joy: feeling of great pleasure and happiness.
Happiness: the state of being happy.

See these two things are synonyms but not the same. Happiness seems to be a temporary thing, but joy seems to be more long term. When you are joyous-you feel. When you are happy you're in a state of mind. 

Now, let's leave good ol' Webster alone for a moment. James 1:12 talks about how those who endure temptations will eventually receive a crown of life that The Lord has promised. Ecclesiastes 12:14 Fear The Lord and keep his commandments. 

Now, I'm about to paraphrase a whole lot. But if you feel the desire to follow me, and maybe see how I got this feel free. 2 Timothy 2:3-13. This is what I gathered from that passage:
Be a solider. A solider in the army if God requires more than we can handle sometimes. The struggle becomes endless, our happiness becomes a faded memory. 

Happiness is freedom in ourselves. Joy is freedom in The Lord. 
Freedom. Yes freedom. The root of it all. Jesus gave us freedom, so we can be happy. But more importantly He gave us freedom so we can live in Joy. A continuous, eternal feeling-not a state of mind. 

Flesh lets us stay in a state of mind. Our soul lets us feel. 



Other verses: Hebrews 11:6, Psalms 56:3, 1 Thessalonians 5:16

"Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer. Similarly, anyone who competes as an athlete does not receive the victor’s crownexcept by competing according to the rules. The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops. Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this.Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel, for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God’s word is not chained. Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory. Here is a trustworthy saying: If we died with him, we will also live with him, if we endurewe will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us; if we are faithless, he remains faithful  for he cannot disown himself."-2 Timothy 2:3-13

No comments:

Post a Comment